Monday, June 11, 2007

When the Boss Is Lower Than a Snake's Belly

DEAR MARGO: I have been working for a company for about two months, and I really liked my boss at first. My boss is one of my boyfriend's best friends, so I had no trouble trusting him to begin with. Recently, though, he has been putting me in situations that are uncomfortable. For example, he had a job training with just him and me, even though three other people needed to get the same training. (He trained the rest of them together.) He keeps trying to put me in situations where I am alone with him, and he is extremely friendly. When my boyfriend is around, though, he doesn't even look at me or talk to me.

Recently I heard of different incidents where he started doing this to other women at work and then propositioned them and touched them inappropriately. (He is married.) I don't know whether I should quit my job, because I need the money, or if I should stick it out.

I almost want him to try something with me so I can get him fired and so his wife would find out he is a creep, because she deserves better. Could you give me some advice?

--- CREEPED OUT

DEAR CREEP: Guess what? This lech is not such a great chum of your boyfriend's. Between your experiences and what you've heard, it is quite clear that sexual harassment is what's going on.

I would not even consider quitting, but I would stop this sleazebucket in his tracks one of two ways. You could tell him that you are quite aware of what's going on, and if it doesn't stop, you might have to inform someone. Let him guess whether you have his wife or his boss in mind. Or you might consider telling your boyfriend.

And the idea that when you are all together socially he ignores you just frosts me. What a drip.

--- MARGO, DISGUSTEDLY

Troubled by a Neatnik

DEAR MARGO: I have been married for almost 20 years and have three children. My husband has a history of obsessive-compulsive behavior that I've managed to cope with until recently.

He organizes the freezer weekly, pulls weeds daily, has the house perfect when I get home from work -- complete with dimmed lights and lit, scented candles, etc.

I have told him that this is a disorder that can be managed with counseling and medication. He has attended counseling in the past and has no desire to return. My problem is that I cannot mentally handle this behavior anymore.

I have a number of stress-related illnesses (high blood pressure, gastric ulcer, generalized anxiety disorder, occasional shingles, etc.), and I am only 41! Overall, he is a good man, great dad, successful businessman and tries to be a good Christian.

Is this lack of tolerance on my part a legitimate issue? I frequently remind him that Felix of "The Odd Couple" was the antagonist, charming but annoying.

--- MRS. FELIX UNGER (GOING UNDER)

DEAR MRS.: I do not wish to belittle OCD or your difficulty with it, but I do not exactly see where the problem is. Given what you write, there is something else bothering you besides your organized freezer, weed-free lawn and perfect house. If I were in your shoes, I would teach this man to cook and do laundry and consider myself reeeally lucky.

Because he has gone to counseling and has no desire to return, I think it's your turn. Some of your health issues have an emotional component, and I would hazard a guess that your unhappiness does not stem from what your husband is doing, but from some underlying trouble in the relationship.

It is time for an overhaul, and with good guidance I hope you can return to being the other half of a happy "odd couple."

source: //news.yahoo.com

No comments: